- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup or 225g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence of vanilla bean
- 1 cup (13oz jar) Nutella or chocolate spread
- 100g toasted and chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180’C. Line a 9x9inch deep baking tray with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl beat the melted butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix until combined. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold the flour mixture and the macadamia nuts into the egg mixture until combined.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and use the rubber spatula to evenly spread the top. Pour Nutella over the bottom layer of batter. Spread evenly with a spatula. Pour the rest of the batter on over and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes, or until the top is shiny and cracked but firm. Cut into 1 1/2 by 1 1/2-inch bars and serve.
Macadamia nuts are a good source of fiber and energy.